Saturday, May 8, 2010

Spiritual guidance

I have been rather resistant about writing the following blog posting. The main reason being that I know that several of my regular readers will find what I have to say rather “flaky”, to say the least, and may perhaps have some concerns for my sanity! However, I have undertaken to chronicle my ongoing journey toward discovering my life’s purpose and each week I write about that which is top of mind for me at the time of writing. And, after all, this is MY blog and I don’t compel anyone to continue reading it! So, here goes:

I have had quite a few people lately asking me versions of the following question, “But, Lisa, what is it that you DO all day?” I think this is mainly because I have always been such a busy, active do-er that it is difficult to comprehend that I have spent the last 4 months doing nothing much at all! However, these questions from friends and family, and my own uncertainty, have led to some anxiety and I have started to ask myself whether I have progressed at all in finding my life’s purpose, which is what I set out to do at the start of this adventure. As I was unable to answer this question with any degree of clarity or certainty, I decided to hold the question in my mind whilst meditating and specifically request input and assistance from my spiritual guide.

Until 3 or 4 years ago I had a guide called Elizabeth. She had a very warm, nurturing energy and she simply held me in her unconditional love until I was able to find love for myself. After this I became aware of a “changing of the guard” and I knew that Elizabeth had moved on to do other tasks, her work with me complete. I was assigned another guide about whom I knew very little. He had a far more “masculine”, sometimes rather intimidating, energy and I always experienced his presence as a vast cloud of intense blue light. I had a sense of immense integrity, clarity, truth and trustworthiness about my new guide. This was a far less personal relationship than the one I had enjoyed with Elizabeth and I was led to understand that this was a “grown-up guide for a maturing soul”. I haven’t really felt the need or the desire to find out more about my new guide during the past few years. However, my question about my life’s purpose led me to directly ask for his assistance for the first time this week. Below is the conversation that ensued.

Actually the conversation did not take place in words at all, but rather I was immediately presented with fully formulated concepts (some of which were rather surprising to me!) every time I held a question in my mind. I subsequently “translated” the concepts into words (losing a great deal of the richness and meaning in the translation, I might add). However, even the final version in words, below, offers a great deal of insight and value to my current situation.

Lisa: Am I “on course” in my life; am I doing what I am supposed to be doing?


Guide: Do we really need to regress to childhood again at this point?!
You KNOW that you are exactly where you should be and doing exactly what you should be doing. It is artifice and counter-productive to pretend that you don’t know. Life is not served by your acting small or ignorant.

Lisa: OK, I guess I do know, but it seems to be taking so long to find my life’s purpose. What is it that I need to be learning right now?

Guide: Patience and humility.
You are done with accomplishments for now. It is your partner’s turn to shine. You need to sit quietly in the ever-expanding knowledge of who you REALLY are without constantly feeling the need to remind everyone of who your ego thinks you are.

Lisa: But isn’t this a terrible waste of my talents and abilities?

Guide: Do you really believe that your greatest talents are associated with the personality, called Lisa? Your greatest talents lie in your BEING, not in Lisa’s DOING. In this lifetime you chose to have the potential to be or do anything you wanted. However, NOW you have to realize that your true value and worth have absolutely nothing to do with Lisa’s achievements, talents and potential.
You have been viewing the finding of your life’s purpose as yet another achievement to add to your long list!


That is why I tell you that, until you can sit quietly in the knowledge of who you truly are and relinquish your ceaseless hunger for achievement, affirmation and sense of accomplishment, you will not find your true life’s purpose.

Purpose can never be about ego. So, sit still and BE.

Lisa: OK, I accept all this because I know it to be true. But what should I DO in the meantime?

Guide: In every moment, ask yourself, “How best might I serve Life in this moment?” Then, do that.

Lisa: How will I know what that is? Sometimes I feel so alone. Will I receive help and guidance?

Guide: Again, this is the question of a spiritual child. You are fully aware that you receive absolutely all the assistance you require whenever you need it.

Well, I guess it couldn’t get much clearer that that! I can tell you that my ego didn’t like this conversation one little bit! My ego wants to have big and important and serious stuff to do and patience has always been one of my weaknesses. So, I guess that is exactly why I am in the perfect place right now to learn this lesson.

And so the journey continues…

5 comments:

Educo said...

Interesting... I didn't realize that the guides change as you do...

Lisa said...

Hi Educo

I don't think they necessarily do for everyone and of course I hold the truth for no-one but myself. But, in my case, there have definitely been 2 distinct sets of lessons, each requiring very different guidance and support.

L

Wolfke74 said...

I think we live in a society were everybody is trained to use your every minute of the day wisely. At work or at home. If you don't do anything at all your feeling guilty because of the learned behavior of society. I tried to be still and BE and I only managed it for 5 sec. before my thoughts wandered of to things I must do and so on...I think this is one of the hardest things to do....be still and BE...
Wish you lots of love, light, laughter and stillness....Lisa

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that your spirit guide said something that I have been thinking, but have been hesitant to say for fear of hurting your feelings - i.e. that sometimes you make finding of your life’s purpose sound like something you need to be the best at - achieve greater insight and more self-fulfilment than anyone else. You are loved for who you are by me for one not for your achievements, even your spiritual ones! You will always be my special sister, Love M

Anonymous said...

Life has many directions. It's a matter of which one you decide to follow. When you are in control of your life then the directions you take make sense;when you lose control you lose direction and that can be scary. I have alway's wondered about spirit guides and just now believe them to be so but I believe they guide not direct.
All the Best on Your Endevors
JLDY

Post a Comment